Updates to the NGINX Application Platform position NGINX as the only vendor to combine all three solutions in a single platform, a combined $5.7B market opportunity in 2019
San Francisco, CA – October 9, 2018 – NGINX, Inc., the company based on the popular open source project and offering a suite of technologies designed to develop and deliver modern applications, today announced enhancements to the NGINX Application Platform – including new releases of NGINX Plus, NGINX Controller, and NGINX Unit. These new releases improve NGINX’s industry-leading solution in the application delivery controller (ADC) market, as well as introduce new solutions in the API management and service mesh markets. NGINX provides a single platform to compete in a combined market projected to be worth $5.7B in 2019.
“Today, there is little distinction between technology companies and traditional enterprises. Technology is front and center in every business strategy, and enterprises of all sizes and in all industries must embrace digital to attract, retain, and enrich customers,” said Gus Robertson, CEO, NGINX. “The latest updates to our NGINX Application Platform help companies achieve better customer experiences, agility, and ROI in the digital era. I’m particularly excited we’re adding API management to our existing API gateway capabilities, and service mesh to our microservices architecture. We see both in high demand for companies as they modernize.”
The three new releases – NGINX Plus R16, NGINX Controller 2.0, and NGINX Unit 1.4 – represent the most substantial set of updates to the Application Platform yet. Updates leverage the modular architecture of NGINX Controller and enable enterprises to provide the right workflows to the right teams managing NGINX Plus in the data plane. These capabilities further simplify application infrastructures by consolidating application delivery, API management, and service mesh management into a single solution – accelerating the journey to microservices.
The three product releases unlock five new capabilities:
- NGINX Controller 2.0 enhances Load Balancer Module. NGINX Controller 1.0 launched in June of 2018 with centralized management, monitoring, and analytics for NGINX Plus load balancers. NGINX Controller 2.0 brings advanced NGINX Plus configuration – with version control, diffing, and reverting – and ServiceNow integration. Controller 2.0 releases in Q4, 2018.
- NGINX Controller 2.0 introduces new API Management Module. This new module for NGINX Controller manages NGINX Plus as an API gateway. With this module, NGINX Controller provides API definition, monitoring, and gateway configuration. This lighter-weight, simpler alternative to solutions like Apigee and Axway will be available in Q4, 2018.
- NGINX Controller to include a future Service Mesh Module. A service mesh provides governance, security, and control for environments with dozens of microservices. A new NGINX Controller module, available in the first half of 2019, will manage and monitor NGINX Plus service meshes, apply microservices traffic policies, and simplify workflows.
- NGINX Plus R16 debuts new dynamic clustering. NGINX Plus R16, released in September, includes clustered state sharing and key-value stores for global rate limiting and DDoS mitigation. NGINX Plus R16 also introduces load balancing algorithms for Kubernetes and microservices, enhanced UDP for VoIP and VDI, and AWS PrivateLink integration.
With these new capabilities, NGINX is the only vendor that helps infrastructure teams deliver north-south traffic flowing from users to apps, as well as build modern apps with optimized east-west traffic. Enterprises can now use the NGINX Application Platform to function as a:
- Dynamic Application Gateway. The NGINX Application Platform combines a reverse proxy, cache, load balancer, API gateway, and WAF into a single, dynamic application gateway for north-south app and API traffic. Traditional application delivery controllers (ADC) from vendors like F5 Networks do not provide API gateway functionality, and lack the flexibility to act as a single, distributed ingress and egress tier for apps in all clouds.
- Dynamic Application Infrastructure. NGINX, already the most popular web server for high-performance apps, now solves microservices complexity with a lightweight, NGINX Service Mesh Module for NGINX Controller. NGINX Unit complements this as as a dynamic application server that executes both monolithic and microservice code. The result is a comprehensive application stack optimized for east-west traffic.
About NGINX, Inc.
NGINX, Inc. is the company behind the popular open source project trusted by more than 400 million sites. We offer a suite of technologies for developing and delivering modern applications. The NGINX Application Platform enables enterprises undergoing digital transformation to modernize legacy, monolithic applications as well as deliver new, microservices-based applications. Companies like Netflix, Starbucks, and McDonalds rely on NGINX to reduce costs, improve resiliency, and speed innovation. NGINX investors include Blue Cloud Ventures, e.ventures, Goldman Sachs, Index Ventures, MSD Capital, NEA, Runa Capital, and Telstra Ventures.
We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with our EMEA head office in Cork, Ireland and APAC head office in Singapore.
Steven MacDonnell, 415-544-7209