Web Server Load Balancing with NGINX Plus

Industry’s Fastest Growing Web Acceleration Platform Achieves 400% Growth since Launch and Sets the Standard for Web Application Performance and Reliability

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — NGINX, Inc., the high performance web acceleration company, today announced several NGINX milestones that are driving the modern computing era. First, this month marks the 10th anniversary of the first release of NGINX open source, the technology platform that is transforming the Internet, making it faster, more scalable, and efficient, while also helping businesses deliver the best possible web experience for their users. In fact, today over 40 percent of the Internet’s busiest websites in the world rely on NGINX to drive the performance of their web applications according to recent figures from W3Techs, with increased adoption by hundreds of FORTUNE 1,000 enterprises worldwide. According to an August 2014 blog post from Forrester titled, “NGINX And Mobile Are Marching Together Into Internet History,” the company was lauded as “… a symbol of a massive pivot in your technology platform.”

“Looking back at the last decade, the momentum behind NGINX has been phenomenal,” said Igor Sysoev, co-founder and CTO of NGINX. “We originally started this project to solve the problems that arose with the growth of online services and adoption exploded as demand for high performing web applications increased, like more visitors, more traffic and increasingly complex computing architectures. A year ago, nearly 15 percent of the entire Internet had NGINX under the hood. Fast forward 12 months and we have almost a quarter of the Internet using our platform and adoption continues to skyrocket.”

NGINX also recently celebrated the one year anniversary of the company’s flagship commercial solution, NGINX Plus. The increasing market demand for rock-solid security, availability and performance of distributed web applications drove a strong close to Q3 for NGINX, with 164 percent quarter-over-quarter growth and the solution continues to gain traction. Built on more than a decade of developer feedback derived from the open source product (NGINX), NGINX Plus introduces a number of security, stability, performance and flexibility features that drive value for enterprises. Approximately 70 percent of existing commercial customers are migrating to NGINX Plus from NGINX open source, while the remaining 30 percent are migrating from legacy hardware-based Application Delivery Controller (ADC) solutions.

“It’s an exciting time to be a part of the NGINX team. The evolution of NGINX from a problem to an open source project to an Internet acceleration phenomenon over 10 years is amazing. We’ve seen a 400 percent jump in overall adoption over the past four years, with no signs of slowing down. NGINX is truly part of the DNA of the modern web. Users are increasingly demanding maximum performance and availability of web applications. As sites become even more complex and rich, NGINX ensures users have the best possible experience across the board” said Gus Robertson, CEO of NGINX.

One of the key contributing factors to NGINX’s growing success and momentum is its thriving partner ecosystem including Intel, HP, ARM, Alcatel-Lucent, 3Scale and Amazon Web Services (AWS). In fact, more than a third of the web applications on AWS are using NGINX and it is one of the most downloaded Docker images on Docker Hub. Additionally, NGINX now integrates with multiple monitoring and management tools like New Relic, and users can leverage NGINX as an on-premise, or private, public or hybrid cloud solution.

“We’ve been working closely with NGINX to help our users deliver the best possible API management experience for their developers and partners,” said Steve Willmot, CEO at 3scale. “Availability, uptime and speed are key contributing factors that determine the success of any API program. Working with NGINX is a critical factor in helping our customers achieve that success with ease and flexibility.”

In the spirit of celebration and success, NGINX is kicking off its first ever user event in the Bay Area this month – NGINX.conf 2014. For more information and to register for the event, please visit

About NGINX, Inc.
Based in San Francisco, NGINX, Inc. is the high performance web acceleration company, providing products, solutions and services for its renowned open source software, NGINX and its NGINX Plus commercial offering. Run by the busiest websites on the Internet, NGINX enables companies to match increasing demand for faster web experiences at scale.

Today NGINX serves more than 148 million sites on the Internet. Successful online services such as Netflix, Dropbox, Pinterest, Airbnb,, Box, Instagram, GitHub, SoundCloud, Zappos, and Yandex, use NGINX as part of their infrastructure. For more information about NGINX, Inc., please visit


No More Tags to display